Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Gazpacho



I realize that it is winter and we don't have access to "real" tomatoes like the ones in the picture (those were from my dad's garden this past fall) but canned tomatoes work well in this recipe, too. I think I used 2 cans of chopped tomatoes for the fresh ones.

I keep thinking if I make a "spring/summer" dish like this, maybe spring will actually come!

Gazpacho

1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded & coarsely chopped
1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped

In a food processor, finely chop both, but do not puree. Remove to a large bowl.

1 small onion, coarsely chopped (red onion works best)

Finely chop this as well, but do not puree. Remove to the large bowl.

2 1/2 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded & coarsely chopped

Add to the food processor and finely chop. Remove to the bowl.

Add:
3 cups tomato juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
Several dashes Tabasco sauce
2 tsp salt

Stir well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. I like to serve it with chilled salad shrimp and chopped avocados in chilled bowls (like at Big City Soup!)

Enjoy! And may spring come SOON!

1 comment:

Adriane said...

I've always wanted to try Gazpacho I'm excited to try your recipe. thanks!
adriane