Monday, February 18, 2008

Corned Beef With Vegetables

This was one of our favorite dishes growing up (and still is) and I was taught how to make it by my Grandma and my Mom. And, if anyone is impressed...I am typing this out straight from my head, no need to look at a recipe! :)

Corned Beef

2-5 lb corned beef round (do not buy a "brisket", buy a round, hopefully from Snider's, which has the best ones! Costco also has them, but they tend to have more fat)
1 head of cabbage, halved and cut into wedges (I usually only use half the cabbage)
small bag of baby carrots (I usually use half the bag)
2-3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

Place corned beef round in crock pot and cover with water. Cook for 1 hour on high, then 6-7 hours on low (depending on when you need to eat it!) You can cook it on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours, but I think the way I do it usually makes the corned beef more juicy and tender.

During the last 1/2 hour the corned beef is cooking, place all vegetables in a pot of boiling water and let simmer on medium high for 20-25 minutes. During the last 10-15 minutes the vegetables are cooking, put 1-2 cups of the water the corned beef has been cooking in (this makes them taste AMAZING and is my Grandma's secret!) Take corned beef out of crock-pot, slice and place in the middle of a platter. Drain the vegetables and place around the corned beef, dot with butter and EAT!

No comments: