Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes


mashed potatoes are one of my very favorite foods and I have tried so many recipes. This one is so incredibly good every time I have made them. It is an Alton Brown recipe. Just a couple things. One you can't be afraid of garlic. Put the whole amount he says to, trust me. Two, I try to cook more healthy, so I use the fat free half and half, and it tastes just the same.

3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
16 fluid ounces (2 cups) half-and-half
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons kosher salt
6 ounces grated Parmesan

Peel and dice potatoes, making sure all are relatively the same size. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to maintain a rolling boil. Cook until potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork.

Heat the half-and-half and the garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and set aside.

Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain off the water. Mash and add the garlic-cream mixture, salt, and Parmesan; stir to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes so that mixture thickens and then serve.

1 comment:

X-Tine said...

Thanks for sharing this one Adair! These are some of the best potatoes ever! I always love it when you make them. Plus, love Alton Brown, too.